Baklava is a well-known dessert in Turkey and around the globe. So I thought of making a Filipino version of it by replacing some of the ingredients that are Filipino like Cashew Nuts and the Coconut Butter Cracker (which is by the way, my favorite). I also used Orange Powder for the filling instead of Cinnamon because I think it will lift up the taste of the Baklava.
Orange Powder is from the peel of orange, dried and crushed. It is easy to make and very aromatic. The orange peel has a much higher concentration of vitamins, minerals and nutrients than the fruit itself that can benefit your skin immensely.
My chosen spice for this recipe is Orange Powder for many reasons. One of those, it is part of the Rainbow colors. Second is Orange can release that certain facial expression(sour) whenever I’m eating one like how Rainbow can put amusement in my face; eventhough I saw a Rainbow so many times the amazing feeling is still there, I just can’t help but to admire it. Another reason, Orange Powder is so magical, it can do wonders in our health like how Rainbow makes magic and take away the stress in life.
Here’s my Filipino version of Baklava
Sugar, Refined 200g.
Orange Juice 78ml
Cashew Nuts, lightly toasted and finely chopped 450g.
Coconut Butter Cracker, crushed 1/2c.
Sugar, Refined 50g.
Orange Powder 1/2T.
Filo Pastry Sheets 450g.
Butter, melted 340g.
For the Syrup:
- In a small saucepan combine the granulated sugar, water, and orange juice. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes or until syrup is slightly thick.
- Let it cool.
For the Baklava:
- Mix nuts with coconut butter crumbs, sugar, and Orange Powder.
- Brush 2 sheets of Filo evenly with butter, and sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Place 2 more buttered sheets of Filo on top, and again sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Continue with the rest of the Filo and filling.
- Brush top of the last Filo sheet with melted butter, cut, and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While hot, drizzle cooled syrup onto baklava pillows.
Video: Orange Baklava
Source: Bakipa Journal