Have you every had a Japanese bread?
Melonpan or also known as Melon Bread is a popular sweet bun in Japan. These are enriched dough covered with crisp cookie dough.
Now, now.. I know what you’re thinking. It’s probably melon flavored. But nope, you’re wrong.
But why is it called Melonpan or Melon bread?
It’s only called Melonpan because of its melon like shape. But cheer up! It still tastes good!
For anime and manga fans this particular sweet bun is commonly mention in such stories. As a Japan and anime enthusiast I’ve always wondered what this bread taste like.
Now let’s bake
the Japanese Melon bread!
25g beaten egg
¼ t baking powder
1. Cream the butter and sugar.
2. Then add egg gradually in 3 batches.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder then add gradually diving into 3 batches.
4. Roll the cookie dough into a cylindrical shape and let it rest in the fridge.
140g bread flour
5g non-fat dry milk powder
3g instant yeast
1T beaten egg
70 ml warm water
1. Add the sugar, salt, non-fat dry milk powder into the bread flour.
2. Stir then add the yeast
3. Combine the warm water and egg together. Then gradually add it.
5. Then add butter.
6. Knead until smooth and glossy
7. Grease bowl then cover and set aside to ferment for 40 minutes.
9. Dip your finger in flour the poke a hole through the dough. If the hole doesn’t go back to its original shape instantly then its ready.
10. Flatten it out to let out the excess air
11. Then roll to a cylindrical shape then divide into 5 equal parts (60g. each)
12. Set aside and bench for 20 minutes.
13. While resting the dough, let’s work with the cookie dough. Divide it into 5 equal parts. (53g)
14. After dividing it, flatten the cookie dough.
15. After benching, reshape the dough.
16. Then add the cookie dough on top. Then coat the top with sugar and make diamond marks on top.
17. Cover then poof for 40 minutes.
18. After poof, bake at 170C/ 340F in 12 minutes.
19. Bake till slightly golden brown
Serve. Then ENJOY!
Here’s a pic of me with a melonpan~